Sunday, April 06, 2008

Potato Curry

This is better than any curry I've ever eaten. Seriously. So. So. Good.

I sort of found a few recipes, doubles the spices they listed, and changed 2 or 3 other ingredients....does that make it my recipe? I don't know. But you can make it and call it yours, I don't mind. Just eat it and sigh with contentment.





4 LARGE russet potatoes, peeled and cubed (use more of they're small)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
4 teaspoons curry powder
4 teaspoons garam masala
1 inch of ginger, grated
2 teaspoons cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons salt
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14 oz can of coconut milk
1 15 oz can garbanzos, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can peas


To get started, put the cubed potatoes in a pot, fill with just enough water to cover the potatoes, and boil until soft (about 20 minutes). Drain and set aside.

Warm oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and cook until the onions are soft and translucent. Stir in curry powder, garam masala, ginger, cumin, cayenne and salt. Cook for 1 or 2 minutes, stirring. Mix in potatoes, garbanzos, and peas, then stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Simmer 5-10 minutes.

Done!

Now, this is spicy. Feel free to adjust the cayenne to taste. This also makes a lot of sauce, so have some rice, or chapatis, or even throw in an extra can of garbanzos to soak it up. And be prepared to eat several bowls in one sitting.

6 comments:

Alicia said...

Mmmm, my mouth is watering! I never add potatoes to my curry!

Tricia said...

I agree, it is the best curry I ever ate. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

This recipe was emailed to me as the daily recipe from AllRecipes.com and I found the link to your blog there. Just wanted to say I followed the recipe exactly and found it delicious, especially the next day. Im going to use this exact combination of spices as the base for all my curries now, as it's spot-on. I will make more potatoes and less chickpeas next time, so the potatoes far outweigh the beans.

Thanks for such a cheap, cheerful and very tasty recipe.

(ps. Im not veggie)

Anonymous said...

That looks so good! I think I will make it later this week, adding some frozen tofu I've been meaning to use up.

Thank you for the recipe. Love your blog!

jd said...

Oooo, I am completely drooling over this!

Thanks for the yummy recipe :)

Anonymous said...

Very tasty! Only thing I did different was to use 1tsp of cayenne and frozen peas. This is another veg meal my meat eating husband is happy to have on his plate and he doesn't even like garbanzo beans.